Thursday, January 14, 2010

Week 1 Movie Blogs

Mr Winkle Wakes:


This was a cute little production with a big message. I can completely empathize with Mr. Winkle. I'm an "older" student returning back to college and sometimes the Mr. Winkle does come out in me. I have been in the work-force where I have had to use and manage several computer programs but being back in college has really opened my eyes to how "little" I have utilized the technology that is available.

We have to have more technological education in the classroom. It's a tool that children are attracted too to help them learn the math's, science's, and etc. Have you ever herd a mom say, " you better behave or you will have to play on the computer"? Kids love technology and if they don't get the experience from home or school where are they suppose to explore that knowledge. In today's age I think internet safety and social courtesy is an important lesson to learn.


My ten year old daughter has been drilling me to create her a facebook page. I kept putting it off because of the stranger danger and cyber bulling stories that have draped the daily news. I think as long as she is monitored and educated on how to avoid and handle that type of situation it would benefit her future. So, my daughter thanks you.



The Importance of Creativity:

Wow, Great Lecture! I really enjoyed the comedy he plugged in. It was very rateable. I can admit that I have seen one or two of those heads dancing around in public places. Hilarious! One of his stories reminded me of my baby daughter. Her kindergarten teacher had commented to her how beautiful her drawing was. Olivia's reply was, " I know". Was that being rude I don't think so. She had worked hard on her art piece and confident that she had achieved her goal. A beautiful picture.

On a serious note, I do feel that the arts and extracurricular act ivies are just as important as learning math and science. A lot of school's budgets don't provide for these types of programs. As a single mom of two girls its financially hard to supply these to my children. I make it work because, I do think these opportunities will help them be well rounded individuals. A lot of times the girl's birthday and Christmas gifts are gymnastic lessons or cheer camp. How do you know you want to be in the ballet if you have never been to a point class. Not to mention the benefits of social development it provides.

Harness your Students' Digital Smarts:

Mrs. Davis really seemed in touch with her students and that she enjoyed what she was teaching. The concept of the students teaching the teacher is great. I think it takes the stale taste out of the lecture. Teachers as leaders have to be opened to suggestions and change. What better place to get new information and suggestions than from the people your instructing.

These children seemed so advanced in today's technology. At this point I would definitly be the student in that classroom. I cant wait to expand my technology skills.






1 comment:

  1. Betty,

    You make a good point about being careful when embracing technology. As teachers, we are going to be responsible for our students and making sure they are safe is one of our main priorities. As long as we are aware of the dangers and take measures to keep our children safe, technology can be incorporated into our lives for good.

    ReplyDelete