Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 6

Re: Richard Miller's This is how we dream

http://is.gd/2cfNk

I really enjoyed watching these movies. I found them to be very informative. The longer I'm in this class the more appreciation that I develop for technology. I've now came to the conclusion that its a necessity and not just a privilege to stay up to date with technology development.

One thing that really struck me was the comment that he made about the library. For the past three years of my college education I've only visited the library once. I can remember back in the day learning how important learning the Dewey decimal system was. I wonder what the librarian from twenty years ago feels about the filing system today.

The concept that the humanities and sciences needed to come together was really profound to me. I never consciously thought of them as different species but this really made me aware that they are viewed like that. What a great way to keep up with history and information and adding a since of attitude or feelings towards cold hard facts.

Our ideas are not our own they belong to society. I loved this. This gives us/me the freedom to put my opinion out there (hopefully educated) with the understanding that I'm not the only one with this thought or opinion. If it is a wrong opinion of offensive idea then there is a way to get feedback. I think the main thing to keep in mind with this statement is to keep an open mind and what better way or tool to use to discover the different cultures, opinions, and etc, than the net.

Re: Wendy Drexler's Watched the Networked Student

http://is.gd/2cgBb

For this video we are asked to explain why we need a teacher for network learning. The first reason would be because there is sooo much information out there. We need a teacher to help us contain it all and organize it to support or create a thought or theory. We need to know how to tell what information is correct or propaganda. A teacher that is network learning informed can help us learn to to those things.

Another reason a teacher is needed in using network learning is to teach us how to find the information that we need and to inform us how to ask for help from professionals.

Re: Micheal Welch's What ever


http://is.gd/3WVVZ

Great video, I really have a lot of thoughts after watching this one. I hope I can get them all in with out rambling. I want to address the narcissistic references, social anonymity, and industrial revolution.
There were several references to today's society being narcissistic. I think that term is thrown around way to much today. With today's awareness of the debate nurture v/s nature, i think society is in control of their own behavior to a great degree. A lot of narcissism are just a misconception to low self esteem. Some people have insecurities so they tend to overcompensate and then come across at the other extreme. We push our children to be narcissistic either as a parents and teachers. We are extensions of our parents and we all know they (usually) can see no wrong in their child. From a teacher's point of view, the student that exceeds the standard qualifications, either educationally or extracurriculars, those are the ones we are proud to say we taught.

The social unanimity that u-tube, blogging, and twitting gives us opens the doors for social exploration with out the consequences of being judged face to face. For someone that has social anxiety its a great tool to practice expressing themselves and receiving feedback. Now I'm aware that a lot of feed back is probably negative but it helps that person deal with confrontation. Not everybody is liked and on the same end one person is not disliked by anybody. Great idea for dealing with insecurities and grasping social information.

I just had to add this comment in here. This video really cemented my idea that has been creeping in my head. In world civilization we learn about the industrial age. How it was and still is such a controversial subject. But with out industry we would not have the conveniences today. True our air might be a lot cleaner but whatever. I think the technology revolution has really hit and I don't thing the older generations are aware. I'm glad I'm getting in now cause you know what they say, "better late than never".

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your posts about these videos. I totally know where you are coming from on the whole thing about never going into a library to look up information. I look up all my information on the internet, and that is how it's going to be in the 21st century. I am also very appreciative for this class and technology so we can be in the know when we become teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Betty, I love reading other classmates post to see what they have in comments to these different videos and websites. I was intrigued with what you had to say about Richard Miller and Michael Welch. What I would like to comment about is Wendy Dexler’s video about networking. She gives so much information in how it works in a short time that what I received in the first time watch is students do not always think that they have professionals in their field by just a click of a mouse. Oh how the world is changing.

    ReplyDelete