Saturday, March 27, 2010

Morgan Bayda Blog

I just finished reading Bayda's Blog and I was surprised to hear her, in a way, support Dan Brown's suggestion or decision to drop out of school. I agree that maybe some children are not being challenged to their full potential. What about those children with the Learning Disabilities or those that just don't have the influence that others have. The economic status should never justify what education you receive. There are children and families out there that don't have the funds for a personal computer must less alone to pay a monthly Internet bill. With the country in a repression this idea has to come into play. What about those students that need the one on one experience.
I think to use technology is great. Twitter, Face book, and all the other tools out there are wonderful for teaching and finding a support source. But lets not forget the basis that our own education(especially the older students) is built on. We have to start somewhere and then advance where appropriate. I plan on using my technology tools that I've learned in EDM class in my classroom, and as a support system in my teaching career. I don't however, plan on making my lesson plan around my technology source. You can buy a child every toy there is at Toys R Us but what do they really have the most fun playing with? The card board box, that becomes the race car, the castle, the house, and/or the robot. It's just nature.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betty

    I think my post has confused some people about my point. I did not mean for my post to be a statement of support, or otherwise, for Dan Brown's decision to drop out of school. Dan and I are completely separate people who have never met and who would make different choices. I simply understand and identify with the events leading up to his decision. I am also not a person who is entirely dissatisfied with the education I have received and engaged in. I have enjoyed school throughout my life. It is now, though, that I look back on the last few years of University and count the classes that made me feel like an apathetic person who did not care about school, and those distinct classes are the ones I refer to in my post.

    I agree with you about the cardboard box! I still love to play with the simple things. I think a key thing to remember is that we are not always using technology as a toy or game, mostly I think our job is to present it and the use of it as a tool for learning. That's where the difference is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your point of view on this! I agree technology is an amazing advance but you do have children with disabilities and need the one on one. I love working one on one! I hope to incorporate both into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete